On a Saturday as glorious as last year when we dedicated our Standard, the

RAF Police and RAF Police Association Window was dedicated in St George's

Church, RAF Halton. There were 90 members and guests of the Association and

some 30 serving RAF Police. Among the latter were the Air Officer RAF

Police, Air Commodore Peter and Mrs Pauline Drissell; the Provost Marshal

Group Captain Ted Scaplehorn and the Association Chairman Mr Bernard and Mrs

Valerie Lamb.

 

Apart from the organist playing somewhat slowly, the service was as good as

last year, with another great sermon from a different chaplain. This time

there were no heavy hints about us buying any further bits of the Church!!

 

The window looks as good as any of the many in the Church. When the sun

shines through it onto the altar in the Lady Chapel, our two crests really

do show up well. As is now usual at our Association events, our Standard

was an integral part and on this occasion was carried by Keith Adams with

escorts Jim Bew and Gordon Sidey. Again, the three of them in immaculate

turnout, caused many complimentary comments.

 

After the Service, we gathered for a group photograph and then strolled back

to the Sgts Mess. There we had a drink before listening to short speeches

by John Walton, Bernard Lamb and Air Commodore Peter Drissell. Then it was

down to sorting out an excellent buffet which sadly, we did not clear.

 

In the Mess bar/lounge, was the recent presentation (at RAF Henlow), of the

story of the RAF SIB investigation into the Great Escape murders. Outside

the Mess was a small exhibition of some of the kit used by RAF Police on

operational duties. All this was provided by RAF Police Personnel from the

Tactical Provost Wing at RAF Henlow.

 

After lunch, we left the Mess and watched an entertaining display by a

voluntary dog demonstration team from RAF Waddington. All members (5 male

and 1 female) were very young and very skilled. They and their dogs posed

for photographs with all us oldies (and wrinklies).

 

All in all yet another excellent day out for Associaiton Members. There

were some private reunions including two members meeting after a 45 year

gap. What a pity that only 5% of the membership, took advantage of this

organised visit to our oldest existing RAF Station. The RAF Police School

was established at Halton in 1920, it left in 1935, returned in 1995 and

very sadly it has now ceased to exist. But RAF Halton, St George's Church

and our window remain.

 

 

 

John Walton

Vice Chairman